Friday, March 23, 2007

Hey Mr Deejay

I just had the craziest day yesterday. I work in the shopping district in London, what one calls the West End and I often hear about all the designers coming out with their collection in H&M or TopShop or wherever, on such and such day, but I never bother going because I just hate the running around, fighting girls over a certain dress, elbowing each other just to get the latest fashion.

So I never went to those things, but going to work yesterday, I remembered that the Madonna collection was coming out that day at H&M. I walk by that store every day on my way to work, so I thought it can't hurt to have a look inside.
I get there and there is music blaring out of the shop - 'Music' by Madonna, which is one of my favourites, is played by two trendy deejays.
I enter the shop, following the music like in a trance. The collection is downstairs, but I see nobody on the escalator and looking down there are lots of paparazzi, so I wait, unsure of what to do, which must have looked so silly. Then I see a couple of girls taking the plunge, and so I get on the escalator.
As I start looking around the collection I quickly grab some items in my size like if I was possessed, and I especially fall in love with a short leather jacket. Everything is black, white or beige, very elegant, very chic, well, very Madonna I think.
Shoes, bags, sunglasses, belts, dresses, all sorts of everything.

It was 9.30 and I was 30 minutes late for work. But never mind, I had to try the clothes. So, I ended up deciding on the leather jacket, which is to die for and I want to wear it every day for the rest of my life, and a black and white jersey dress.
On my way to the till, I am surprised to spot my lovely colleague S.! We have been working together for 5 years and are very good friends, on the same wavelength so to speak. She sees me at the same time and we start laughing: 'You too here?!!' So we began browsing the racks once more, worried that this could be our last chance before everything is sold out.

Well, I ended up also buying 2 shiny black belts, one skinny, one large and one silk foulard with the Madonna logo.
She got three dresses and also a foulard.

At the till, we told the sales assistant that we were skipping work to be there and she laughed, we felt like 16 years old girls skipping school for a day of shopping!
At the end we arrived at the office at 10am, so not even that late, but we decided to stroll in separately and that I was going to hold the bags, as her client was waiting for her and she did not want him to see she was late because of the shopping. Of course all this was possible because our boss was on holiday.

Today is Friday, I am wearing my new jacket and it's a super super day.

11 comments:

Dizzie said...

I can't stomach the commercial they've done for teh Madonna collection. I don't think the clothes are bad, but the commercial running on TV is... well... nicely put gauging!
I did like the white trenchcoat (bur I don't think I need another trench - I've already got seven in various colors and styles), but the commercial makes me want to keep as far away from H&M as possible... *sigh*



ryc: You're such a helpless romantic, aren't you? Sweet! :)

Rachel said...

Yay!!! You got fabulous clothes.
I want to see a photo of you wearing your new jacket!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had such a fun timE shopping - I love when I am in the mood (when am I not?) to shop - the ambiance with friENds is the best - gotta love that leather jacket!

Tinsie said...

What a naughty thing to do on your way to work! It sounds like you had a brilliant time shopping and I bet the clothes are fabulous. Good work, girlfriend ;-)

Mirra Fine, Graphic Designer said...

What a perfect day! I want to see a pic of the jacket too!

Erica said...

Thanks girls! I have been wearing the jacket twice so far and feel like a princess in it, and as soon as I have a photo, I will post it!

Marissa said...

I love this post! It does remind me of being sixteen again. Playing hookey from school to do a little shopping with your best friend! How much fun. Your new clothes sound amazing. Jealous!! :)

Pam said...

What a great way to start the day!
Looking forward to photos : )

Betty Carlson said...

Where is the best place to take two fourteen-year-olds shopping in London? I'll be there in May with one of my daughters and her best friend. Harrod's is a must, but where can they actually buy some fun and affordable things?
Glad you like your jacket; I rarely get the shopping bug.

Cheryl said...

Sounds like it was exactly what you needed--the day and the clothes!

Tinsie said...

Betty, Oxford Street is good - Topshop is supposed to be popular with teenagers, but there are several others. Check out streetsensation.co.uk and oxfordstreet.co.uk