Thursday, December 14, 2006

Driving to Rome

Taking a break from writing about my past, I am getting ready for the Xmas road trip we will take in a few days. We will travel from London to Marseille, driving through all of France and then we will get on a ferry straight to Rome. It will be 14 hours on the ferry! Practically a lifetime.
But it will be by night, 6pm to 9.30am, so not too bad, as I will be sleeping 10 hours of those.
Then it will be 5 days in Rome with my family, or more correctly in Bracciano. My family actually lives in Bracciano where Tom Cruise got married, they moved there 10 years ago when I left Italy for London. We knew the place was beautiful much earlier than he ever knew it existed!

On the way back, we are not taking the ferry, but we will have to drive all the way from Rome to London. 1600 kilometers! Of course we have quite a few days and will be stopping by night in b&b along the way. We are hoping to reach Paris by New Year's Eve, and spend it there celebrating 2007. Back in London by the 2nd and back to work by the 3rd!

It will be quite an adventure to drive there and back, but of course also quite tiring. I will take pictures of France and Italy and try to post them here!

Also, this here below is the car we will be travelling with - so it will be great fun! We just bought it in September, it's from 1997, but still in perfect shape and a fantastic drive, if somewhat daunting for me as a new driver. I have been practicing ever since we got it and I am getting better and better.

We hope to be back all in one piece!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

That car is SUPER CUTE!!!! It doesn't look like it would be comfortable to sleep in though.
Have FUN!!!! I would LOVE to travel like you do.
I have only been in the U.S. and Canada. I don't even have a passport.
My goal in the next 5 years is to go on at least one overseas vacation. If I go to London I will definitely set aside time to hang out with you!!

ANON1 said...

Is that a Z3? My dad has a 2006 Z4 and he loves it. Have a great trip.

Erica said...

Rachel - thank you, it is cute, but it does only have two seats, so not so good for sleeping!! If you do come to London, it would be lovely to see you!

Anon1 - Yes, it is a Z3!
Z4 is so beautiful also, but much more expensive!!
This one drives beautifully, it's a 1.9 though, not a 2.8, but that's plenty of power for me already!

Pam said...

Have a fantastic journey and happy holidays!

Cheryl said...

I need to say, I am so jealous of your holiday trip!

Dizzie said...

Have a great time and hope to see (shouldn't that be "read"?) you again soon!