Monday, March 05, 2007

Moving Home and Moving On

We are moving! Well, I sound happy, but it was not such a happy news at first. Our landlord called us and told us that he is selling the flat where we currently live, in Shoreditch.

Shoreditch is a lovely area of London which is most famous for his multitude of bars, restaurants and clubs. There is very little green, but lots of trendy bars. It is extremely close to the financial centre of London, the City, so our neighbours are a mix of trendy but poor artists or wealthy stockbrokers. We have always loved the bohemian feel with the art galleries and the mix of different people and the exciting night life, that as a young couple with no kids, we have been experiencing quite often.

We would have stayed here until the big move to Paris, but as we have no other choice, we have to move and we have decided to change area as we are completely fed up with the nightlife and the indulgence of boozy afternoons sitting in the sunshine outside our local pub. We want proper parks and proper family neighboroughood, we want a garden and a barbecue and a supermarket nearby. We want walks by the river and romantic dinners, we want an occasional evening in a no-smoking pub with our friends and their kids, we want to finally be a grown up couple and realise that maybe, finally, the party is over.

And it feels just about the right time. So, after researching and researching, we have settled on Greenwich, a lovely neighboroughood by the river Thames in the South East of London, with a massive beautiful park, a charming market, and a high street with a village-feel. The little fishing and surf shops just add to the charms of this 'wannabe small town', but still with the feeling of a big city.
Here is an example:

The Cutty Sark


Greenwich Park


So the search has begun for the perfect place to rent! So, if you happen to live in Greenwich and want to rent out your house, you have 3 bedrooms and a lovely garden, drop us a line!

9 comments:

Rachel said...

I could refer you to some places in Michigan or Washington State, but London? Sorry, no can do.
It looks lovely though.

Erica said...

Thank you, we cannot wait to move, I hope we will find something nice within our budget. It always seems to me that what I want it's always above my budget..

Dizzie said...

I love to move, but I doubt I'd love it if I had been forced to it... :)

Good luck with the move (and if you need any help packing, just remember, I'm Monica in "Friends"!) :D

Marissa said...

that is amazing! congratulations on the move. it looks lovely. i wish i were closer so i could come visit!

Tinsie said...

There's plenty of partying in Greenwich, too ;-)

Erica said...

Heart of Darkness - It just was the proverbial kick in the *** that we needed! And yes, I might come back on you with the packing.. I am just the opposite of Monica!

Marissa - Thank you, if you ever plan a trip, we can surely show you around London! It is an amazing place, sometimes I forget.

Tinsie - I am sure there will be also plenty of partying, you know me.. you must tell me the best places to go.

Cheryl said...

wow. Greenwich sounds hard to resist! Good luck finding a place!

Betty Carlson said...

This looks lovely! But I bet you won't regret having lived the high life in the City for a while...

Clo said...

Hi Erica (o dovrei dire CIAO?!) you left me a comment a while ago, I've been on stand by in my blog, but I am catching upp! Wanted to thank you for stopping by and I look forward to reading you too!
Clo