Thursday, January 25, 2007

Health kick

I have started this year with the resolution to eat more healthily as my doctor AND my dentist both said I should give up eating so much sugar. I just love and crave sugar so much that it has been quite hard. I took this chance to improve my overall eating habits as it has been quite long overdue.

So my plan so far has been:

Minerals: Zinc (for energy boost) and Magnesium (not sure for what but I read somewhere it's good for me)
Fruits and Veg: I try to have 5 portions a day, sometimes I only manage 3 or 4
Tea/Coffee: never liked coffee, so that was not hard to give up. I subsituted my twice a day cups of Earl Grey tea with herbal tea, peppermint usually.
And instead of the customary FOUR spoons of sugar, I have cut down to two.

I am also eating this probiotic yogurts and try not to eat crisps, and instead I eat nuts. Which is not as bad.

All this seems to be working in terms of energy levels as I have always felt so bummed and tired all of the time. What I really really miss though is cakes, lovely sweet cakes....

Also I am going to try and going to my gym, I am paying a monthly fee membership that expires in May, and I feel so bad that I am not going and wasting my money but, after a hard day at work who wants to start running on a stupid machine???
Speaking of exercise, I was buying a birthday card for a friend the other day and I read this very funny card that said:
If God meant for women to exercise, He would have put diamonds on the floor....

That's funny and...exactly how I feel!

6 comments:

Tinsie said...

I find that sugar is addictive. The more you eat, the more you crave it. The good news is that when you finally break the cycle, you'll find you don't need it any more.
Your new regime sounds well balanced. Keep it up!
Tins xx

Cheryl said...

Good for you! That is certainly not easy to do.

Pam said...

The best thing is when you can actually feel better for the changes! I think it can be difficult to adjust eating habits and exercise (GAH!)...kudos to you for doing it!

Rachel said...

I haven't ever been a huge sweets eater (although donuts rolled in the toasted coconut stuff are devine). I love the stuff that is just as bad but salty. Sloppy greasy cheeseburgers, tunafish with lots of mayonnaise. And cheese. Glorious cheese.
oh..uh..sorry, got off on a tangent.
I am so glad that you are feeling like you have more energy. When I used to work out (many moons ago) I got up an hour earlier and went and worked out in the morning. It really does give you more energy.

Dizzie said...

Good for you! Eating healthy is an excellent promise to make to oneself!

I've never had issues with sugar, simply because I'm not a big fan of the taste of sweet. I just don't like cakes, sweets etc. But I get it all in sour, though! :D

Keep us posted!

Erica said...

Thank you to all of you for your encorougament - I have just been naughty and had a delicious coffee eclair this morning....but it's okay sometimes, the doctor says as long as you follow the plan 80% of the times, I'd be fine. So 20% I can be naughty!!