Thursday, January 25, 2007

Relocation Relocation

We love Paris so much that we decided to move there and start a family!! This is something we decided around NYE when we were there for the fourth time together. What we felt time and time again towards this beautiful place was too strong to ignore.
Of course we are not naive or stupid and we know that relocating to a different country is very hard - after all I have done it once and my husband has done it twice (we are the experts!). He moved from Germany to Paris, where he lived there for two years, and from Paris to London. I have moved straight from Italy to London.
So we know, it's not all roses.

But listen to our reasons:

-Wonderful Weather: proper winters, but also real summers
-Lovely Food: great bread, tasty cheese, meat and fish, veg and fruit and the best pastries and cakes in the world
-Schools: their system is closer to the Italian education system, as in state schools can be better than private ones
-Beauty: well you cannot argue with this, Paris is indeed beautiful
-Language: love French, and did study it back in school for 3 years - hubby knows it perfectly (lucky him)
-Location: closer to our families in Italy and Germany - and also two hours by train to London
-Jobs: my husband will spend 3 days a week in London for his job and the rest of the time he will be in Paris. I will be with little baby (hopefully) and will go to veg and fruit markets and cook lovely meals and go to museums and explore Paris and write a book (ok, I am daydreaming now.....:)
-Art: with all the museums and churches, I am sure we'll never be bored of being tourists in the city.
-Cinema: we love French movies, always did and always will

More than all of the above, I felt a feeling in Paris that I only ever felt in Rome, and a feeling that after 10 years I have never felt in London.
A feeling that I belong. And that is worth more than anything to me. My husband feels at home wherever he is, but I just don't. I feel very attached to my italian roots and always missed my country and Paris is closest to Rome I could ever get.The only thing I need to work hard for is to get my French back in gear....not easy I know, but I am motivated.

Also another aspect I have considered regards children: I always felt sad that my children would grow up so different from me in the UK from the way I grew up in Rome. In France they would have a very similar childhood to mine, language aside, and I will feel closer to them that if they would grow up in London.

Lastly, I have a cousin that lives in Paris, whith her kids and her French hubby. We are not extremely close, but only because we never had a chance, as she is lovely and I am sure that she can help me feel less isolated during the first few months in the city. I feel a bit like Carrie in the last 2 episodes of Sex & The City when she moves to Paris....but then she hates it, so I hope it will work out better for me!!

What do you all think, is this a crazy idea?

7 comments:

Rachel said...

If you love it there are feel that you belong I say. GO FOR IT!!!
Life it too short to not be where and not do what you love.
That just gives me another reason to come to Paris.

Erica said...

Yeahhhh!!! Your encouragement is really appreciated. We even told our families and, if at first a bit sceptical, they think we are now serious about it and are coming round to the idea. Mind you, it will not happen until a couple of years from now, we need to save some serious money before then!
And it would be lovely to see you there as well as London!

Tinsie said...

Well, you know what I think ;-)

Do what's best for you (I wouldn't like to bring kids up in London either) but do it sensibly, and make sure you learn the language first!

Pam said...

I think that sounds like a WONDERFUL idea!!! The most meaningful reason that struck me was your feeling of belonging there, oh, and the food of course!

Erica said...

And you would know Pam, after all you did make the move! How did you find learning French? Was it really hard? I hope I'll be fine with the language.

Anonymous said...

i lived in Paris for two years and would move back in a heart-beat if i could find work (or marry!). Do it. Take the chance and just go. French will come back to you and there are a number of french people who study Italian.


~laura (a new reader)

Erica said...

Thank you Laura for your words, I feel as well that I should take a chance and go, what's the worst that could happen? I could always come back to London I suppose... I hope you do also make it back to Paris soon!