Thursday, January 18, 2007

My Dad the painter

Three years ago my dear Dad has become a painter! I am not sure how the idea came about but one day he just started painting on potato sacks stretched over wooden frames and using not acrylics or oils but any sort of colour substance he could put his hands on. From his first attempts to the latest ones, he has progressed immensely and has used better colours, but still paints on potato sacks!

I am the least creative person in the world, so I was bowled over by this creativity of his and hope that some of it might have passed on to me also! All his life he has been a very hard worker with a truck company and drove his truck for many years all over Italy and Europe, also sometimes touring with the theatre and bands/musicians. But before all of that he was always very good in building furniture and restoring antiques, so in a way I am not surprised he has come back to his first love, which is being creative and expressing himself through art or simple labour.

Over Christmas I have helped him to create his on webpage at the Saatchi Gallery, to help him showcase his art.


Here below are some of his paintings:












I am very very proud of him and I hope I can help him to achieve his dreams as he has helped me as a young girl!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I really like the second painting. Very cool.
That is awesome that you are helping him with the website. I suck with HTML and web design.

Erica said...

That was quick, I just posted this!! I have made a few changes actually, not sure if you saw the updated post or not.
I have made a resolution to keep posting more and more, so I hope I can stick to it, but I don't have a chance to keep up with you, you have quantity and quality also!

For my Dad the webpage I created for him was very easy, it was like a blog but in a gallery, so all by template, I had to do no HTML or such alien things like that!!

The second painting is a Christmas present he did for my sister and her boyfriend. They just moved in their new home and he wanted to give them something special. Thankfully they like it too!!

Rachel said...

I hadn't seen the updated portions but just went back and read them. Potato sacks huh?
I don't know if I could do that since all of ours are plastic..grrr
I love the idea of using what you have to make art.
I thought that you were going to do a weekly post about something that you are well versed in like life in Italy or London. When are we gonna see that series start?

Dizzie said...

I love the paitings - they are amazing! But I'm just an amateur painter, so this is my own subjective opinion... :)

ryc: the Italian opening hours got be bothered, but one Italian friend just shook her shoulders when I told her, explainging to me that "Italy - chaos!"... I couldn't but to laugh!
Actually, the thing is, we get so settled into our routines, every step outside of the box bugs the hell out of us. Why? I was on vacation, not like I had anything better to do anyway! LOL

Erica said...

You are right Rachel, I need to get my act together!! I just can't settle on what to write about. But I will put my head into it and come up with something.

Thank you Heart of Darkness! My dad will be happy to hear that!

Cheryl said...

very cool. i never would have thought to use potato sacks as a canvas.